RoBlog - Refactoring reality

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Overflowing Integers

Well - this is my first real blog entry. I wasn't sure how to get myself started, or what to talk about, so I created several dummy blog entries to test the system. The first of these was a few months back, but it wasn't until today that I created a couple more. Subsequently I deleted the two new ones.

After playing around with Blogger.com a little more I noticed that on my profile stats page the 'average posts per week' statistic showed a figure of 2147483647. Now I had hoped to be fairly prolific as a blogger, but this surpassed all my expectations - over 3,500 blogs per second!

Unfortunately I couldn't help but notice that this number is just one short of the point at which an signed integer would overflow.

(2^32)/2 = 2147483648

So Blogger.com appears to think my average blog rate is -1 blogs per week. An interesting concept I thought.


1 Comments:

  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to see it Rob. Lets see some challenging posts!

    Simon

     

<< Home